Saturday, October 8, 2016

Gate Fold Fun

So earlier this week I posted a card for the Wild Card Class that I won a spot in. 


The card I have tonight I started earlier this week and then life intervened. My aunt passed away and the twins were born. I had to travel for the funeral and I've been at the hospital every day. So I haven't had as much time to play as I would like but I really love how this card turned out. Thank you Jennifer McGuire! One of her videos for the class is on gate fold cards. I always liked the look of gate fold cards but what I didn;t like is that they never stayed closed. Jennifer came up with this ingenious way to keep them closed that I just had to try.


So you can open the card by the diamond shape "lapels" which is just adorable. She used hearts in her example but I used Gina Marie Designs Stitched Diamonds. I heat embossed the background of the card in black with Penny Black Allover Pattern. And I added some little bats from Craftin' Desert Diva's Batty for You stamp set. They are popped up from the card with foam tape. And then I closed the card by using Gina Marie Designs Bow and Ribbon die. I cut on in card stock but it seemed to flimsy so I used another one of Jennifer's tricks and cut one from black fun foam and adhered the two together to make it sturdier. And it does a nice job of keeping the card closed. So when you remove the closure you can see the inside of the card.


The images and sentiment are also from the Batty for You stamp set. I colored them and the bats from the front of the card with Copic markers. I just might make more gatefold cards now that I know a trick to close them.
I am entering these challenges:
Update on my grandbabies: Both of the babies are on feeding tubes and Arthur is still on the respiratory. He's doing better.Tricia got to hold him today for the first time. They are both so tiny. I think it will be a while before they will be allowed to come home.
Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to try to get some other fun things done from the Wild Card class, if I can find the time. Hope your weekend is awesome!

Donna


7 comments:

Lisa Lynn said...

Donna, your card is wonderful and perfect for Halloween. Love the layout.

Cicci said...

Wonderful card!!! Love The colours
Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Hugs Cicci
DT member at TTCRD
Cicci With The Pen {My Blog}

Pam said...

What a great Halloween card! Love the traditional orange and black.
My condolences to you on your Aunt passing away. I hope the babies are doing well.
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

What a super card inside and out.Great design and lovely colouring.Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments.Hope to see you again next week.
Lisa x

Stef H said...

this is fabulous.

well big CONGRATS on the twins. prayers for all!
keep us posted gramma!

hugs :)

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

So much to say in this post. I am so sorry for your family lost and at such a time when there is much to celebrate...the life of newborns. That's really hard. The card, it's fabulous1 I also love watching Jennifer Mcquire videos...she's great. I have seen this one and love the idea of keeping the card closed....can't wait to try. In the meantime, celebrate the birth of these babies proud Grandma.

Unknown said...

Great design. Thank you for joining us at The Pencil Case Challenge. Helen DT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...